[mythtv-users] MythArchive output quality is poor for SD and HQ profiles

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Wed Oct 11 08:10:28 UTC 2006

Leighton Brough wrote:
> I've had some great results using MythArchive to create DVDs from DVB
> content that's already in a DVD compatible format (i.e. using the "do
> not reencode" option).
>
> However when I select the SP profile, the quality is very poor. The
> resulting file size is much smaller than what the MythArchive user
> interface suggests will be produced. Here's an example log:
>
> Once again, the final file size is 188MB.
>
> Am I missing something here? Or is there a bug?
>
> Thanks,
> Leighton

I'm guessing 'bug'. I have exactly the same results with mytharchive.
I've tried lossless transcoding and everything. It just has an extremely
bad picture unless I set my tuners to record at 720x480 and tell it not
to re-encode it. It looks like what a 720x480 video file getting resized
down to 320x180 then transcoding back up to 720x480 again.

-Mike