[mythtv-users] Need advice on gentoo USE flags for mythtv

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Wed Oct 11 04:37:02 UTC 2006

Carl Youngblood wrote:
> Can anyone give me a good head start on which gentoo USE flags I
> should enable for mythtv?  I'm new to gentoo and there are a ton of
> flags and I'm not sure which ones to use.

For your reference, the only use flags I have enabled on my MythTV
install (done via portage) are "alsa dvd ieee1394 ivtv lirc opengl perl
xvmc"

I've got a fair number more than that for various other ebuilds, but I
find the best way to work with Gentoo is to do an "emerge -pv" and then
see what use flags an ebuild supports - then I decide what needs to be
in and add it if necessary.

Here's my complete list, in case you care (note that I'm doing all sorts
of things on my myth box - mail, self web hosting etc.)

USE="X gtk gtk2 kde mysql apache2 dvd lirc dvdr cdr encode imap php
samba xine xvid xvidinfo nvidia avi mpeg transcode theora mjpeg aac
ieee1394 oss dba -recode session cli xml wxgtk1 threads -nls flv
examples xvmc video_cards_nvidia unicode bash-completion nptl nptlonly
posix ivtv"

I find the Gentoo Myth ebuild to be fantastic and convenient.

Greg