[mythtv-users] Upgrade to 20 Questions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Oct 10 22:14:18 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06 17:55, Thom Paine wrote:

>>Try again (the whole Delete All thing above), but make sure you type in
>>a name for the video source when creating it.
>>

>Okay, I tried all that and nothing. It doesn't scan all the channels either.

You should not be scanning for channels with an analog tuner (the analog
scanner has "issues"--and, is really unnecessary given a good frequency
table).  Use the "Fetch channels from listings source" button to get
your channels.

>So I went back to basics. I checked out Jarod's guide and tried
>testing the tuner card by catting /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 and I
>get nothing. No picture, no static, no sound.
>
>Should I remove all references of ivtv and start over? I have good
>info in my /var/log/messages tho. The computer is detecting them and
>setting them up.

Which it can do without any drivers.  However, without drivers, the
hardware is useless.  (I.e. the system's recognizing the hardware as
existent is not proof of proper configuration of the drivers.)  The only
way to determine if your drivers are properly configured is from the log
messages--which you can get with the command:

tac /var/log/messages |
sed -n '/=\ \ END INIT IVTV\ \ =/,/= START INIT IVTV =/p;
        /= START INIT IVTV =/q' |
tac

Mike