[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Timothy Chartier thymus at earthling.net
Tue Oct 10 18:54:50 UTC 2006

> AC97 audio will work automagically but is, on my system at least, a
> bit noisy. The Turtle Beach Riviera (~$30) works out of the box with
> much better sound reproduction and no noise at all.

How does a Sound Blaster Live PCI card work with Myth TV? That is what the box currentally has in it.

> you'll be better off with a
> PVR 150/250/500 for capture (SD-only) and an nvidia gfx card (gf4,
> fx5x00, fx6x00, etc) for display.

It has a GeForce 4 display (IIRC..may  be better but would rather say I have a lower power card and have it approved then not have enough power when the time comes to use it) so that should be fine. With out the onboard decorder it osunds like the decoding for a 150 would be done by the CPU (please corect me if I am wrong on this). I don't see there being many issues with this as the system ahs a AMD XP 3000+ CPU (not 64 bit).

> Of course regardless of your distro, you'll still be able to run
> browsers, IM clients, email clients, etc. If you're comfortable with
> Debian you might as well give it a try. I believe the Ubuntu debs are
> already out for .20 but I think Debian binaries are still .19.

I did a quick search on the Debian site package search and could not find a set of debs the comes with the stock Debian install. I did however find a URL for installing MythTV under debian using an Unstable package. I think I will take the advice and use a spare hard drive to do the initial install of MythTV before messing up my primary desktop.
Another questing I have is I read that XFS is one of the prefered filesystem type for MythTV and EXT2 and ReiserFS both should be avoided. As my current FS is ReiserFS is this a big problem?