[mythtv-users] Playback stoppy and go-y. Ie super-duper-uber-jittery.

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Oct 10 18:23:40 UTC 2006

Akseli Miranto wrote:
> There was a thread with this subject in March. The problem was:
>
> "When I try to play live tv it plays full screen for about half a
> second. Then it pauses for about half a second. Then it plays for half a
> second, then pauses...."
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-March/130273.html
>
> Now I'm experiencing the same problem. I also have a radeon 9600pro
> graphics card. I tried to search for any solutions to this problem but
> did not find anything. =(  I'm quite new to linux so I haven't yet tried
> anything too hard to solve the problem (I'm afraid of making something
> stupid). Does anyone know if updating to the latest version of mythtv
> would solve the problem? Now I'm using the version that can
> automatically be installed in ubuntu draper (0.18 I quess). Or is there
> any other solution or do I have to buy a new graphics card? (Is it even
> the reason for this?)

I've been using a Radeon 9600 for HDTV playback with MythTV for a while
without significant problems. What type of CPU does the machine have?
Which driver are you using? Have you checked whether DMA is enabled for
the hard drive? Have you checked the CPU load during playback?

I've had the best experience with X.org's Free "radeon" driver, which
makes use of the "radeon" DRM kernel module. The proprietary fglrx
driver has lower visual quality and doesn't seem to be able to handle
"bob" deinterlacing.

Jonathan Rogers