[mythtv-users] Cannot access recorded video from remote front end

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Oct 10 05:07:19 UTC 2006

* On Sun Oct 08, 2006 at 10:43:18PM -0600, kim gross wrote:
> I don't think it should make any difference but I do have the
> /video/store directory structure shared on both the backend and frontend
> (just for mythdvd) so if it did not want to stream the file it should be
> able to read it from the share.

If you have the directory mounted in the same place on both machines and
the file exists, then the code will try to play the file back by reading
it locally instead of streaming it from the backend.

Can you run a "ls -aln /video/store" on both servers and paste the
results?  Are the uid's the same for the user that you run mythfrontend
and mythbackend or are the files marked group or world readable?

> >The preview window used the old way of finding the recording file, it did
> >not use the newer method so it currently always streams the file from
> >the master backend instead of reading it locally if it is available.

> Is the newer method new to .20?  This problem showed up either after the
> .20 upgrade or after one of the .20 fixes upgrades from atrpms.   I'm
> not positive when it started since I do not normally use this frontend,
> but while getting my xbox updated I screwed up X and so started testing
> on the other frontend and I found this problem

No, it's been around a while.  All places in the code that need to playback
a recording used to just use the url given to them by the backend in order
to play the file.  The backend was responsible for knowing whether the
player was local or remote to the file.  The newer method allows the player
to look to see if it can access the file locally instead of streaming
the file over the myth:// protocol.  The only place that doesn't use this
new method is the preview pixmap and I plan on fixing that sometime soon.
So this is unrelated to the issue if it happened at the timeframe you say.

--
Chris