[mythtv-users] Joining two recordings

Preston Crow pc-mythtv06c at crowcastle.net
Tue Oct 10 01:43:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 11:36 +1000, Paul wrote:
> Does the capability to "join" two recordings exist?

I haven't tried it, but I'm assuming that with the lossless mpeg
transcoder, I can just cat them together and then transcode to clean it
up.  I don't see why that wouldn't work.  I think that the process of
transcoding will take care of any updates that are necessary due to the
length of the file and show changing.

Consider something like:

# mv show1.mpg show1-save.mpg
# cat show1-save.mpg show2.mpg > show1.mpg
Now from Myth, transcode show1.

(Obviously the filenames will be more cryptic.)

I'm thinking of doing that for some multi-part shows that I plan on
keeping for a while.

If someone tries this, I would be interested in hearing a report on any
issues that came up.