[mythtv-users] Does 0.20 take a beefier machine?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Oct 9 20:29:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 12:56:37PM -0500, Chris Moewes-Bystrom wrote:
> When entering into the recordings and the music menus the system has
> to execute some SQL to get the information to display before it can
> even start to display it. Is it possible that is causing some of the
> delay? I wonder if you could do something like turning on mysql query
> caching to see if accessing the same menu twice is faster the second
> time (assuming that the query can be cached).

Caching may improve the response time, but it won't change the fact
that it's bad UI design to have a menu freeze up while the computer
is busy without giving any indication as to what is happening.  A
better solution would be to have the "Watch Recordings" menu item
progress directly to the "select a recording to watch" screen
before executing the SQL query.  That screen could then present a
downloading meta-data from IMDB) if further status feedback is
warranted.