[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend - what features do I need

rym002 at aim.com rym002 at aim.com
Mon Oct 9 14:43:15 UTC 2006

 I haven't been following this thread all the way but.. here is my $.02.

 I use fedora with the xbox-linux patches applied to the kernel (2.6.12-1.1456_FC4). In the kernel config file I have removed building all modules that I don't foresee needing e.g. Serial Devices, USB 2.0 etc. I have also applied the fbsplash patch to the kernel to allow graphics during the boot instead of the text console. For Mythtv I use the rpms from atrpms and other fedora repositories. This setup works well, I even have mythphone running with a Logitech webcam and the spca5xx drivers . I also have LCDProc/mythlcd running with a X3LCD and a patch i wrote for LCDProc. My system mounts root over nfs but could run using a fatx loopback device. I run the root over nfs to make life easier for upgrades due to the hardware limitations of the xbox. This has been working well for me since .18. I have run xine and mplayer with no issues and currently have all plugins installed from atrpms on the xbox except mythweb. The only issue I have is since the upgrade to .20 it seems to take longer to display video and change channels, I upgraded my kernel at the same time and havent had time to look into the issue since the system is stable otherwise. I prefer this solution since the xebian deb's were always out of sync with the fedora rpms and my backend is fc3 ( plan to upgrade to fc5 later this month). I can provide the patches and rpm.spec file i currently use to get a fedora based kernel running on the xbox if anyone would like. I am hoping to tweak the .config file some more to have the drivers loaded into the kernel instead of modules. Ohh forgot to mention LIRC, I have lirc installed from the rpms and the kernel modules were rebuilt using the spec file from atrpms and a patch for lirc_atiusb.

 I wanted to chime in to let anyone who is thinking about using the xbox know that it is possible to run all mythplugins + mythstream on the xbox. Here is a breakdown off the top of my head on the performance of each plugin (my opinion).

 Mythtv - Good only issue is slow to load video and EPG since .20 upgrade
 MythMusic - Excellent - No Issues (I use mainly MP3)
 MythVideo - Good - Slow to load video with internal player, Xine takes 5+ seconds to load but no issues, mplayer excellent (quick and painless)
 MythDVD - Good - I cant fully test this since my DVD drive has issues and does not always initialize but I use mythvideo to view ISO extracts of dvd's with no issue except noted above.
 MythStream - Great - I have some custom parsers that I use regularly
 MythPhone - Good - FPS is low but functioning, I dont really use this much but hopefully when time permits. The only issue I have is the audio uses oss so i cannot run native also for myth due to this.
 MythGame - Great - use xmame and zsnes, plan to get a Commodore 64 emulator running in the future the only issue I have is with the Categories in the database for my roms, I think it may have to do with the CRC's for the roms, not specific to the xbox install.
 MythGallery - Great - OpenGL seems to have slowed down for previous versions, this may be due to the kernel upgrade I did.
 MythNews/MythBrowser - Great - Worked well last time I looked at it.
 MythFlix - Excelent - Works ( I don't have a netflix account to test all the features) I use it to see what movies are out on DVD.
 MythWeather - Good - Aside from the data being work it is stable and does not crash the system.

 If anyone has a patch to make MythRecipe work, that would increase the WAF :).

 Thanks
 Ray