[mythtv-users] libglx + OSD causes myth to crash (ATI)

David O daveo78 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 03:58:29 UTC 2006

    When playing livetv and pressing 's' to bring up the OSD mythtv will
continue to play livetv but not respond to any key presses which ultimately
requires a restart of mythtv.  Additionally  when watching livetv and
starting to record the program by pressing 'r' it will cause the same
symptoms above, only difference is that when pressing the escape key you
will be able to get back to the menu.  If you then try to watch livetv
things will be ok until you use the OSD, then the first problem above begins
and when restarting Myth you will also have locked up the ivtv drivers.  To
correct this problem you have to restart the backend and remove and reload
the ivtv drivers.  The log file for the frontend gives the following error:

    Xlib:    unexpected async reply (sequence 0xcfd6)!

    I have traced these problems to glx being loaded with X.  If I comment
out that section the problems disappears and everything works as it should,
but you lose 3D acceleration and cant use the opengl paint system.  By the
way the problem above exists in either opengl or qt.  this problem isn't new
and I've found references to it in the forums but the solution is to upgrade
to a version of myth older than the current version I'm using (0.20).  I'm
assuming that this was fixed in the past and maybe somebody remembers what
it was, or quite possibly it's reappearing in 0.20.   It could also be
something ATI is doing with the drivers, I'm using 8.29 and I've tried 8.26and
8.27; all have the same problem.  i thought I'd ask here before I submit a
bug.