[mythtv-users] mythvideo Internal player & ac3 sound

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Mon Oct 9 03:44:07 UTC 2006

I have a lot of files in mythvideo.  I use the Internal player. Sound is
via a stereo sound card which plugs into the stereo. Most avi files, the
sound plays fine.

However I have a cquired a few files with ac3 sound. When I play them
with the Internal player an almighty noise emanates from the speakers -
sounds like its going to destroy the stereo and my eardrums too. Hard to
describe.

I am pretty sure mplayer plays these fine, converting the ac3 to whatever
the soundcard likes.

Is there a way to get this to work?

Alternatively, is there any way for all of my files to generate a digital
signal out the spdif output of the sound card, which I could connect to
the stereo via its spdif input? ie can the sound system and/or mythtv be
set to convert all sound to a digital stream for the spdif link (whether
or not it was an ac3/dts stream to start with)?

Nick.