[mythtv-users] Hardware validation - first time box

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 23:23:40 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, David Fishburn <fishburn at ianywhere.com> wrote:
> I am putting together my first MythTV box and was hoping for some feedback
> on the hardware specs I am considering.  I do not know much about hardware
> so any feedback is appreciated.  I will get a shop to put the case,
> motherboard, power supply and components together, especially since I need
> them to make sure I pick compatible components and a large enough power
> supply.
>
> I scanned through this forum and other google searches to find some
> appropriate hardware.  I do have some questions related to mainly the
> motherboard and the support MythTV has for various components.
>
> What I need:
> - MythTV backend and frontend
> - Main web server
> - Virtual machine server for some windows instances
> - Build machine for some other projects I am on which need *nix
> - It will be in my living room until I decide on some form of frontend so I
> need it quiet.
>

> Based on the Jarod's "Standard Definition Slave Backend and Playback System"
>

> Motherboards:
> Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
> MSI K8N Neo2
> ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe A64-939 Motherboard
> ASUS A8N-VM CSM (AMD Socket 939 + NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430)
> Chaintech 7NIF4
> - http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?PISNo=147
> - Does it really matter what motherboard I get?

yes and no.

> - I was going to get a shop to build this for me and I doubt they will have
> Chaintech motherboards available.

why the Chaintech? Theres 4 other boards in your list, whats wrong with them?

> - Does choosing a motherboard with an onboard nVidia system and tv-out and
> DVI out work?  Or is the support usually not good enough and you end up
> going with a separate PCI card instead?

Onboard 6150 or 6050 will be fine. You look to be only concerned with
SD, so make sure it has TV-Out.

> - Does choosing a card with PCI or PCIe make a difference?

PCIe boards most usually have a few PCI slots as well. Make sure you
have enough for how many cards you will be using.

> - I would be looking for SATA which has smaller cables.

and a few other advantages.

> - I am not sure how many drives or PCI slots I will need.  If I get onboard
> nVidia, that frees one up.

not really, since you would be putting a graphics card into an AGP or PCIe slot.

> - Gigabyte ethernet

100bT would most likely be enough for your needs, don't let this be a
deal breaker.

> MSI FX5200-TD128LF Geforce FX5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Low Profile
> Video Card - $31.00
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127181
> - Seems to be recommended since if you are not building a gaming machine,
> these graphics are good enough.
> - There was some suggestions on a 6200 as well, any opinions?

6xxx series are only really needed for 1080p. IF you end up needing a
video card, get a 5200.

> - But if a motherboard with the onboard nVidia stuff is good enough, I think
> I would go that root instead.

yes.

> Sempron 3500+
> - A bit more power for the CPU since I will be using it for other things
> than MythTV.
> - I still want it to be energy efficient.
> - Athlon XP 2700+ was recommended, but I boosted it from that.

Athlon64 and some of the older FX chips have been going on sale
recently at places like newegg. check with Fatwallet and SlickDeals'
forums, you may be able to get a much better CPU for your needs for
around the same price. This would be especially useful if you plan on
moving up to HD.

> Power Supply
> Seasonic SS-400HT that is 80 PLUS certified.
> FSP Green 400 PSU
> - Seasonic are the best for power efficiency.
>
> 2x 512MB DRAM PC3200
> - Not just MythTV

should be good.

> Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB Internal 3.5" SATA Hard drive - $100
> - I have read the lists and they seem to think Seagates are good.
> - Put as many as these in (or larger) as necessary.

I'd suggest one drive as your system drive and a seperate "drive"
(RAID/LVM/single drive) for recordings. Perhaps a 40GB-100GB system
drive and a 500GB recordings drive.

> Model SP1614C SilverStone Lascala SST-LC11 HTPC Case
> - Most likely wait and see what the stores have available.
> - Looking for the following:
> - Good looking, if in living room.
> - Enough PCI slots for capture cards and video.
> - Good airflow to keep things quieter.
>
> Hauppauge 1062 PCI Interface WinTV-PVR-150 MCE Kit Tuner Card - $100
> - I want 2 capture cards, but also want a remote control.  This list seems
> to agree the MCE remote works well with MythTV.
>

> Hauppauge 1042 PCI Interface WinTV-PVR-150 MCE Tuner Card - $68
> - The PVR-500 is cheaper ($140.00), but you still have to get a remote.
> - I take it the remotes will still end up being more than $28.
> - This eats up 2 PCI slots instead of just 1 with the 500.

you look to be leaning towards the micro ATX form factor, so you may
want to go with a PVR-500 and one of the many USB remote options
available.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!