[mythtv-users] Problems with sound

Cezary Krzyzanowski dhubleizh at o2.pl
Sun Oct 8 08:06:29 UTC 2006

Hi - I've been fighting with MythTV for some time now. I'll try to
write here a small story of what did I came across trying to set it
up.

First I've updated MythTV and all subpackage in my distro (PLD) to the
newest 0.20 version. Sadly it didn't work for me. The problem was
while watching TV. Although I've named all the found channels ald
double checked that up in the database, when I've turned on the TV and
browsed through the channels (via the browser), the channel names were
default. When trying to change a channel (via browser or other mean),
MythTV thought a long time, and then went back to main menu telling
me, that all inputs are currently occupied by recordings and I could
fix that problem deleting something from Delete Recordings menu. That
didn't work for me, as when I tried to do that, the frontend informed
me, that it is impossible to delete the recording, as machine melchior
is recording right now. Well that was odd, as my LOCAL machine is
melchior and this was I recording before the channel changing.

The program that was on before the channel change is being recorded,
as I see the file grow and I can 'watch' it.

I've downgraded the whole thing to 0.19 and with the same database and
configuration it worked. I've tried to install both version (0.19 and
0.20) from a clean machine (making all new mysql database  and
deleting all config files), but the result was the same.

I tried my way with 0.19. It works quite fine, but I'm unable to
properly adjust the sound! 1. I can't make it use alsa! When I write
in Generals settings something like ALSA:default as output it doesn't
work (kicks me out from watching TV on channel change - only when with
alsa!),  but things like ALSA:hw::0,1 seem to 'work' as I can change
channels, but no sound heard!! I've tweaked a lot with asoundrc (and
maaaany variations of that config file from various sites, including
Yours) I've tried the defaults, done a lot of tweaking, but nothing
works for me.

I'm using audigy 2 card and all other apps work fine with alsa. I've
tried to tweak all capture and play settings and right now I have all
captured, all volumes set to max and the only thing I can 'catch' is
raw signal from my TV card, and it works without MythTV with circa 2
sec before the picture (what was described in Your manual, as it is
raw signal).

So - what do I do? I use alsa above 1.0.9, so no asoundrc needed
(theoretically), I've tried with various kernels, but I can't make it
work!

I've made it work only once, when using /dev/dsp. I had really poor
quality, as to hear anything all recording and playing settings in
alsamixer had to be set to 100 and that produces squeaky sounds.

Please help - I'm out of ideas after a 3 day struggle.

Cz at rny
--
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering" -
Yoda