[mythtv-users] Random horizontal flashes

William Otte w.otte at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Oct 7 21:50:35 UTC 2006

Hi folks -

i have recently been trying to get my mythtv box working with a newly
purchased Vizio 32" HDTV.   I have been able to get things working
quite smoothly, thanks in no small part to the excellent
documentation and tutorials available, I am experiencing a problem
which I have been unable to find a solution for.

During playback - of anything - be it live TV, video files, or DVDs,
I get smooth and clear playback, except for a number of horizontal
white lines.  These white lines pop up randomly, typically do not
span the whole screen, and are worst when I have whatever source I am
using paused.

I have been trying to search the list seeking folks with similar
problems, and have not met with much success.  Solutions I have tried
include turing on/off de-interlacing and reducing my X resolution -
neither solution makes the problem better or worse.

I am currently running at a resolution of 1366x768 with mythtv 0.2
(from ATRPMs) with a GeForce 4 MX (32 Mb of video memory), and am
driving the display with a VGA connection.  My CPU usage is sitting
comfortably at about 20% (regardless of what type of playback I am
using), and these artifacts don't seem to appear in the mythtv
interface or X in general.

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
/-Will