[mythtv-users] xorg.conf question

Glen Ditchfield gjditchfield at acm.org
Sat Oct 7 03:26:52 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 October 2006 18:42, Andrew Davis wrote:
> A "Screen" is a combination of a "Device" and a "Monitor"...
> A "Monitor" is just that... an LCD, CRT, TV, projector, etc...
> A "Device" is a video card...
> Am I correct so far?

To be fussy, a "Monitor" and "Device" sections describe specific
configurations of TVs and video cards, and you might want to have more than
one section for any particular physical device.

My TV has a bunch of inputs, including HD-DVI. It also does a very nice job of
deinterlacing, and I wanted to take advantage of that when watching
recordings.  Meanwhile, my video card (an nVidia 6150) has DVI and component
outputs.  After much thrashing around and reading of the README file that
came with the proprietary nVidia graphics drivers, I ended up using the DVI
connectors for display of HD 720p video, and the component connectors for
480i video.  The two connections are separate X screens that are active
simultaneously, and I switch between them by pressing the "Video" button on
my TV. Here are the relevant portions of my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "nVidia0"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option          "NoLogo" "On"
        Screen          0
        BusID           "PCI:0:5:0"
EndSection

# Note that the BusID is the same.  I think that was important...
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "nVidia1"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option          "NoLogo" "On"
        Screen          1
        BusID           "PCI:0:5:0"
EndSection

# Standard TV picture: 32", 4:3 aspect ratio.
Section "Monitor"
        VendorName      "Sony"
        ModelName       "KV-32HS510"
        Identifier      "Sony KV-32HS510 Fullscreen"
        DisplaySize     640 480    # Image size in millimeters, not pixels.
        HorizSync       30-50
        VertRefresh     60
EndSection

# Widescreen picture: 16:9 aspect ratio.  The TV does this by
# vertically compressing the scan lines, leaving unused areas at the
# top and bottom and giving an effective 29" diagonal.
Section "Monitor"
        VendorName      "Sony"
        ModelName       "KV-32HS510"
        Identifier      "Sony KV-32HS510 Widescreen"
        DisplaySize     640 360
        HorizSync       30-50
        VertRefresh     60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "nvidia0"
        Monitor         "Sony KV-32HS510 Fullscreen"
        Option          "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0"
        Option          "TVStandard" "HD480i"
        DefaultDepth 24
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "720x480" "640x480"
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen1"
        Device      "nvidia1"
        Monitor     "Sony KV-32HS510 Widescreen"
        Option          "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        Subsection "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes       "1280x720" "720x480"
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          0 "Screen0"
        Screen          1 "Screen1" leftOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection