[mythtv-users] Firewire

Gene Stapp genestapp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 20:22:23 UTC 2006

vamythguy wrote:
> Does firewire provide non-HD channels as well, is cable provider
> specific, or is the anser just "no"?

My motorola 6412 box will let me get the analog channels through
firewire (already deinterlaced to 480p). Your hd channels and "pay"
channels are going to be hit or miss depending on the encryption they
put on them (5c=1 and 5c=2 IS BAD!). For me I can get epsnu, logo, the
normal public HD channels and universal HD. All other upper channels
(above 100) are encrypted. Most people need two cable boxes to get all
the channels correctly. With one cable box you hook up svideo and the
sound to a pvr150 or 500 and capture the encrypted channels that way.
Then use firewire for the standard and non-5c encrypted hdtv and pay
channels (anything above 100) due to the fact that myth doesn't
recognize multiple tuners using the same interface like a cablebox. Also
the firewire is buggy for a lot of people. Though the firewire priming
script works really well at fixing/stabilizing the firewire connection
after each reboot.
Hope that helps.