[mythtv-users] Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 6 20:21:58 UTC 2006

Mike Daugird wrote:
> I have three computers with VIA (KT333 a KT400 and a KT600) chipset and
> an AMD processor.
>
> I have never had a VIA related problems. I have a PVR 350, and PVR 150.
>

> The only VIA problem I have heard of is the ones with integrated video.
> HTH
>

> Subject: [mythtv-users]  Information/Recommendations on a new MythTV
> build
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking at building a Myth-TV system from my current gaming box. I
> have done some research and found that the nForce2 chip sets (and from
> what I have seen nForce4 as well) have problems under Linux. I have also
> read up on Myth-TV hardware and read that VIA chip sets are to be
> avoided. I am thinking about replacing my current nForce2 based
> motherboard with a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L
> motherboard. This has a SIS based north and south bridge as well as an
> AC97 audio card on board. With this motherboard I was thinking about
> getting Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350. Are there any known problems with these
> pieces of hardware that make them undesirable?
>
> On the software side of things I have heard that getting MythTV to run
> under Debian Testing is hard. Should I just go to something like
> KnoppixMyth? I would prefer to stay with Debian testing as then I could
> still use my box for Web Browsing and IMing and email too.
> Any information/assistance/recommendations on these issues are
> appreciated.
> -Thymus

I have a micro-atx board from asus based on the 741gx chipset, it works
fine with a pvr-250, which is the same as a 350 minus the decoder.  I
would be careful with the foxconn brand though.  I don't recall any
problems with the nforce chipset in linux, not any recent ones anyway.
I also had this setup running on a MSI motherboard with a VIA KT400
chipset, no problems there either.  The only reason I changed boards was
because I needed a smaller footprint board to fit into a HTPC case.
Haven't used debian, so no comment there. I would suggest Gentoo, but
then that would start a OS war, my lightsaber is fresh outta batteries.

Calvin...