[mythtv-users] Database problem?

Peter Crighton mythtv at p-cright.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 14:10:13 UTC 2006

I'm nearly there installing MythTv:

Mandrake 2006 (3 CD free version) installed.
Mythtv installed using the instructions in the documentation

When I run myth-setup, there are a lot of errors displayed of the
form:

time/date Database not open while trying to load setting: *****
time/date Unable to connect to database!
time/date No error type from QSqlError? Strange...
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
time/date DB Error (KickDatabase):
Query was:
SELECT NULL;
No error type from QSqlError? Strange...

**** - lots of different values (whole section repeated for each
value)

A graphical selection is then displayed to select the language and
after that Database Configuration 1/2:

Myth could not connect to the database. Please verify your database

Host name: mythtv
Database: mythconverg
User:
Password:
Database type: Mysql

Initially user/password were mythtv/mythtv. I have tried both my
normal user and the root user with their respective passwords with no
luck.

When I click Next and then Finish it goes back to the $ prompt. with
the final line being Failed to init  MythContext, exiting.

The database is (I think) installed properly: If I enter "mysql -u
root" then I can enter "use mythconverg" and the database is changed.

I have changed the security to "no security" as per the HOWTO section
6.2 instructions, but if I simply run "mysql -u peter" then access is
denied to using the database

Grateful for suggestions for the way forward.
--

Peter Crighton