[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend - what features do I need

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Fri Oct 6 01:57:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 05:29:40PM +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > Keyboard?  Over SSH, or directly attached?  Is there a PS2 connector
> > inside my black box?  Or are you talking over USB, or soldering a PS2
> > on, or..?
> Good point. You can buy special adaptors that connect a normal USB
> connector to the XBox USB port. I think eBay was where I got it from.
> It's very handy.

At one time Microsoft used to give the adaptors away for free.  Not
any more.

The key thing to know is that the XBox socket is just USB with one
extra wire, which I'm told is used for games that use a light gun.
If you can get a USB cable and an XBox controller cable then you
can just match up the colours of the wires (ignoring the extra one
on the XBox cable) and make your own XBox-to-USB converter cable.
When I got my XBox (used) it came with an after-market controller
that had a round connector on the controller cable and a short
pigtail that converted the round connector to the XBox style.  I
bought an XBox extension cable that had the round connector,
allowing me to sacrifice the pigtail and a cheap USB extension
cable to make the conversion.  The total cost was under $20 and I
ended up with both a long controller cable and a long USB cable.
The converted cable was initially used to load the game hack using
a USB flash memory stick, but once the box was hacked I grabbed a
cheap USB keyboard for Myth (and email and everything else).