[mythtv-users] Reasoning...help....

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Oct 5 23:37:59 UTC 2006

RH wrote:
> I need help to justify a $400 myth box that can record only one show
> at a time vs. a $25 VCR that can record one show at a time?

The really addictive part isn't the ability to record multiple shows at
once.  It's the scheduler.  It changes TV from something you have to fit
into your schedule into an "on demand" sort of thing.  I can't believe
how nice it is to have a machine automatically record all my favorite
shows for me so I can watch them at my leisure.  I almost never watch
live TV anymore!  And I get more sleep, 'cause I'm not staying up late
to avoid missing Adult Swim. ;)

I only have one tuner, currently, so I'm in roughly the same situation
you'll be in.  It's not as limiting as I thought it would be.  Most
cable channels re-run shows more than once during the week, sometimes
even more than once a day.  The scheduler is smart enough to take
advantage of this to avoid conflicts.