[mythtv-users] lirc help

mythtv-users mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 18:30:42 UTC 2006

Jake Wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks for your help David, I am a step closer.  I really appreciate it.
>
> I got it to work by running:
>
> # irrecord --driver=dev/input --device=/dev/input/event4
> ~/Desktop/irrecord.txt
>
> So it looks like it's setup with /dev/input/event4  (ir links to event4)
>
> Is that right?

Sounds about right, you'll need to run it as root, that should create your
lircd.conf file.

Add the contents of that file you've created to /etc/lircd.conf (or blow
it and start again if you want).

Using what you used before

# cat ~/Desktop/irrecord.txt >> /etc/lircd.conf

Now test lirc works by running (again as root)

# /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=dev/input --device=/dev/input/event4 --nodaemon

Open a second session (doesn't need to be root) and run

$ irw

Press buttons, you should see them displayed, Ctrl-C both sessions.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/lirc and make sure the lines are in there are similar
to below (main ones are LIRCD_DRIVER and LIRCD_DEVICE)

LIRCD_DEV_PERMISSIONS="660"
LIRCD_DEV_OWNER="root:video"
LIRCD_DRIVER="dev/input"
LIRCD_DEVICE="/dev/input/event4"
LIRC_MODULE="ir-kbd-i2c"
LIRCD_LISTENPORT=""
LIRCD_CONNECT=""

Then from root run

# rclirc restart

Try irw again to make sure it works then (again from root)

# chkconfig lirc on

Jobs a good un :-)

HTH

David