[mythtv-users] Restoring backup after transcode

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Oct 5 14:21:50 UTC 2006

John Pilkington wrote:
> This is a 'backup' query after Scott's seems to have produced no response.
>
> Transcoding from a DVB MPEG2 recording to MPEG4 changes the file type
> from .mpg to .nuv    The old file can be retained, but the database
> seems to forget about it.  If you don't like the new file, how can you
> get transcode to start again from the original while still retaining all
> the  metadata?

It seems this isn't something that's on the tip of everyone's tongue, so
I did a quick experiment.  The database knows that the current file is a
.nuv file.  I probably don't want it, but I renamed it in case I change
my mind.  Then I made a backup of the original recording (by now called
.mpg.old) and renamed it as .nuv

This played within mythtv, but I couldn't edit it: said there was no
index.  So I tried a lossless transcode.  After that I was able to edit
it and create a cutlist.  Another lossless transcode and I have an
edited file that plays in mythtv and contains mpeg2video and mp2
streams.  The starting bookmark was perhaps rather persistent - maybe
this is normal.  The file is still labelled as .nuv

HTH

John Pilkington