[mythtv-users] DVB-T Channel Scanning

Richard Conway ric at weirdness.com
Thu Oct 5 10:18:03 UTC 2006

Alessandro Corbelli wrote:

> On 05/10/2006 at 9.06 Richard Conway wrote:
>

>> Clyde Stubbs wrote:

>>> Normal? Maybe, but nonetheless sub-optimal. A DVB tuner tuned to a
>>> single channel delivers a full transport stream, which can then be
>>>
>> de-multiplexed
>>
>>> into several program streams. There's no fundamental reason why
>>> mythbackend couldn't record multiple programs from a single DVB tuner,
>>> but it's not currently implemented, probably because the current
>>>
>> architecture
>>
>>> is based on the analog model of only one program per tuner.
>>>

>> I suppose it depends whether the de-multiplexing is done by the card or
>> by Myth.
>>

> It would be great....Single cheap DVB card and 10 channel simultaneously.

I'm sure I read somewhere about a project some guys were doing to build
a huge disk array and use several tuners to record all the DVB-T
multiplexes simultaneously.  I think they estimated that they would have
enough storage space to store everything for about a week.  The plan was
to literally have the entire previous weeks TV stored locally.