[mythtv-users] GeForce 6150, SPDIF, digital passthru - Success!

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 06:57:50 UTC 2006

On 10/4/06, Kevin Mori <kmori.nospam at gmail.com> wrote:
> yes
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 21:43 -0500, Jason wrote:
> > I've never used the SPDIF on my receiver, so this is a very uneducated
> > question,  but if I switch to the spdif output of my soundcard, could I
> > use that as my audio out for all of my content, even if it doesn't have
> > AC3 encoding?   MP3s and what not?  It would be nice to have one,
> > hi-fidelity audio out into my receiver and not have to switch inputs
> > between DVDs and OTA TV.
> >
> > Jason

With a little more information and a space between your response:
yes.  ;)

Some people report having to use a fancy .asoundrc to get this to
work.  However, if you are talking about using the SPDIF output
onboard something like the Asus M2NPV-VM, then yes, and you don't have
to use any special asoundrc files.  Having AC3 passthrough checked
will send Dolby Digital (DD) to your reciever when the stream contains
an identifiable AC3 track (as in an HDTV presentation such as CSI);
when it does not (as in the case where you record an analog show using
something like a PVR-x50), analog audio is passed digitally over your
SPDIF output to your receiver which then (assuming you have comsumer
level equipment :D ) converts the audio to analog and out to your
speakers.  The same holds true for your videos and mp3's, although
mp3s are (again sometimes) reported to play at faster/slower speeds if
they are not 48000 (it seems most typically they are 44100 IIRC).  As
usual, I haven't noticed this either using a basically standard
install of Gentoo, and/or FC5.

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com