[mythtv-users] backend crash - how to diagnose?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 06:49:48 UTC 2006

On 04/10/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 10/04/06 11:50, Nick wrote:

> ># mythbackend -v help
> >
> >will list all available logging options for the backend - using the
> >'all' option will produce a lot of output but may help if the problem
> >happens again in the near future. Remember to monitor your logfile
> >sizes as they can fill up quickly.
> >

> Which answers the question, but going beyond the question to what the OP
> probably meant...  More than likely the additional logging will be
> useless for a crash.  Instead, you should follow the directions at
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2 to get a backtrace on
> a version of MythTV that was compiled with debug symbols.

? Would it cause any problems if they were?

I didn't suggest manually compiling with debug symbols as the OP was
using a pre-compiled version of MythTV, but understand this is the
best way to produce useful information to diagnose a crash when the
syslog/mythlog are unhelpful.

Do you know if the atrpms.net builds are compiled with debug symbols
(the specfile mentions it as a conditional parameter but I don't use
the builds). If the pre-compiled builds included debug symbols would
it be more of a help or a hinderence?

Cheers,
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: