[mythtv-users] Successful Myth Install - 2 Questions

Bill Witherspoon billw at witherspoon-design.com
Wed Oct 4 23:04:03 UTC 2006

* Andrew Davis <andrew at nccomp.com> [2006-10-03 16:20:38 -0700]:

> Bill Witherspoon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > First thanks to the community for making this great package. I've been
> > following for a couple of years with a myth install in the lab (the
> > office), but finally had the guts to go all out and put one in the
> > living room. WAF is high despite a couple of issues:
> >
> > 1) My case is a Silverstone LC10B, and the fans are *LOUD*. If I run
> > both front intake and the 2 60mm rears, I can hear the box upstairs in
> > the bedroom - probably 30+ ft and two walls away. Has anyone else faced
> > this? My only solution was to unplug the intake fan which seems to cut
> > the noice appreciably, but I still think the two fans in the back are
> > quite loud. Any suggestions?
> >
> Trying doing a search on froogle for "silent case fans" or perhaps more
> specifically "silent 60mm case fans". You can usually get 'em for less
> than $20 each. Also, show your local hardware store for plastic or
> rubber washers and put these between the fans and the case to cut
> resonance. Finally, perhaps consider a new case. I have the LC17S from
> Silverstone and with one 80mm in front of the drive cage, to 80mm case
> exhaust fans, the 90mm P/S fan, and the CPU cooling fan, its still very
> quiet. Of course, I'm using the P/S silencer that Silverstone offers as
> well as the newer 600W modular P/S from them that is only about 17dB
> (w/o the external silencer). I've also found that I can set the drive
> fan to its lowest setting (the newer SATAII drivers run cooler), and
> disable one of the rear case fans and not have any heat issues...

Thanks for the reply. I was curious myself if I could just disable the
rear fans as well. The video card and PSU are fanless so presumably
would be fine. The only other thing generating heat is the CPU (Pentium
D805) which has an enormous heatsink/fan combo.

Do you have any experience with any fan controllers? I thought I might
buy one of those and enable all the fans but at significantly lower
speeds. Most of the reviews I read for various models seem to imply that
they are only able to throttle the fans down a limited amount, which
seems kind of silly to me.

I hope I don't have to abandon the case. It's very pretty and don't
think I'll get a refund!

Bill