[mythtv-users] mythburn or mytharchive?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 4 20:23:56 UTC 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Mike wrote:

> Timothy Waters wrote:
>> The MythTV wiki says to use Mytharchive, but someone mentioned here
>> recently that they prefer mythburn. What should I use?
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Waters
>> <mailto:timothy.waters at gmail.com>
>
> I like mythburn's web interface only because I can just go pick what I
> want to burn and then burn. I don't understand why I need to go find
> files to mark for archive, then go into export and select what files I
> already selected to archive again. The logic of the work flow doesn't
> make any sense to me and I feel like I'm taking extra steps for no
> apparent reason. The part in export where your selecting what you
> previously marked should be the only file selecting you do, and thus
> makes me prefer mythburn with the old mythweb.

Asking "which is better" or "what should I use" is like asking what
Linux distro is best, or what text editor is better, you will find
adherents on every side of such a question.

But as I understand it, if you are running 0.20 you do not have any
choice but Mytharchive, which will not work with 0.19.

I like the Mythburn interface but some folks have apparently had
major problems getting it to work, it needs a web browser running
somewhere, and it is very resource intensive.

NFS mounting my Myth files from another machine and using project-X,
mplex, dvdauthor and the usual burning tools works without putting a
heavy load on the backend machine.

I suspect a lot of the problems people have may be due to underlying
issues with java or other dependencies and not Mythburn itself,
resulting in the inconsistent results posted here.