[mythtv-users] Wishlist feature for adding a hard drive

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Oct 4 18:06:44 UTC 2006

I've been thinking of getting a second storage drive for my backend, and it
looks like I'll need to use LVM to join the two drives in to one big logical
one.

This got me to thinking.  Wouldn't it be nice if mythtv had the option of
multiple storage drives/directories?  Then it could do a sort of load
balancing between drives.  This would be most effective if the two drives
were on different cables, at least for PATA.

Lets say I'm recording three shows and watching two at the same time.  If myth
put two of the shows on one drive, and one on the other, then I would be much
less likely to be hurt by disk performance bottlenecks.

Of course I'm not sure how important disk performance is.  I haven't had a
problem yet, but if I add a fourth tuner I might. I was pleasantly surprised
that I had no hiccups recording 3 and watching 1 on Sunday night.  It was the
first time I had dared do that.

I know that this sort of thing can be accomplished with raid0 striping, but
that has the major disadvantage of me losing all of my recording in the event
of a hard drive failure.  If half of the recordings were on each drive, I'd
only lose half of them if a drive died.

Mark