[mythtv-users] Transcoding HDTV?

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Wed Oct 4 12:42:32 UTC 2006

jack snodgrass wrote:

> how fast does this run? It takes me something like an hour to
> transcode ( shink )
> a 60 minute show....

That sounds about right (I'm running pretty-well-optimized on Gentoo on
amd64 on an Athlon64 3200+ (2GHz)) - I was aiming about 1:1 so that if I
recorded a fair amount of HD the background jobs would keep up.
Transcoding takes a LOT of CPU.

You can play with the mencoder settings if you want, but those are
pretty-well optimized for speed already.  If you find some other
technique that works faster post a link and I might be able to adapt my
script (I could use the speed as well).

Rumor has it that broadcasters are looking at other codecs that are
better at downsampling compressed video in real time.  Right now with
most codecs you need to fully decompress, resize, and then fully recompress.