[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Oct 4 02:59:53 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/03/06 16:27, Tom Lichti wrote:
>

>> Just my opinion, of course, but running SVN isn't as big a deal as
>> people think.
>>

> Although it /does/ require significantly more effort on the user's part
> because she will need to subscribe to and read the -dev and -commits
> list.  If someone decides to run SVN trunk and doesn't keep up with the
> aforementioned lists, he will waste a lot of other people's time with
> questions that had already been answered by -commits/-dev messages.

Well, yes, but the volume on the combined -dev and -commits mailing list
is way less than -users. I split all three into different folders, I
don't find it all that hard to keep up. I usually end up deleting most
of what isn't of interest to me anyway, so I only track what is
important to me. I read all the commits, just to see what's been added,
and I re-compile my systems probably once a week or so. Although today
was more like 6 times (I kept just missing Greg's commit messages... :) )

Anyway, if people want to use something OTHER than the release, they
need to pay attention to what's going on, including with -fixes.

I'm sure we could do this all day, people will still get it wrong. I do
it, more often than not...

Tom