[mythtv-users] HD and SD TV on 1 backend

Dave D dave726 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 23:03:36 UTC 2006

Hi everyone.  maybe someone can help me with this issue.

I've been monitoring the list for about a month now and can't seem to be
content with a solution yet. I imagine this probably isn't the first time
this was brought up, though...

Is there a way to have 1 backend record both SD and HD TV?  I mean, it's
technically possible since hardware supports viewing either (pcHDTV for
example), however, when one sets up the backend (mythtv-setup), you can only
specify 1 standard (eg ATSC or NTSC), but not both.

You can already set up SD and HD channels at the same time off of zap2it.
Why can't we put the TV standard as a member of the card instead of limiting
the backend to 1 standard no matter how many cards there are?  While we're
at it, why can't mythtv have 1 card support multiple standards?

Is there a way around it or am I missing something?

Thanks!
- Dave