[mythtv-users] Successful Myth Install - 2 Questions

Bill Witherspoon billw at witherspoon-design.com
Tue Oct 3 23:41:18 UTC 2006

Hi all,
First thanks to the community for making this great package. I've been
following for a couple of years with a myth install in the lab (the
office), but finally had the guts to go all out and put one in the
living room. WAF is high despite a couple of issues:

1) My case is a Silverstone LC10B, and the fans are *LOUD*. If I run
both front intake and the 2 60mm rears, I can hear the box upstairs in
the bedroom - probably 30+ ft and two walls away. Has anyone else faced
this? My only solution was to unplug the intake fan which seems to cut
the noice appreciably, but I still think the two fans in the back are
quite loud. Any suggestions?

2) Myth (0.20 on Gentoo btw) seems to occasionally split recordings
seemingly at random. At first I thought it was related to file size (I'm
on XFS) because it split a 6 hr recording into 3 pieces. Last night,
however, it split a one hour recording at ~47 minutes. My only suspect
is mythfilldatabase which I had set to update once per day scheduled by
Zap2it. The mythbackendlogs seem to show that mythfilldatabase is
running multiple times/day at fairly strange time (5pm??). Does
mythfilldatabase shutdown the back end to do it's work? Regardless, I've
changed the update to once every 2 days, between 1am and 3am. Is that
appropriate?

I can post relevant logs, dmesg, etc. but didn't think it was
appropriate to just blast it at the list without checking first.

Thanks for any help.

Bill.