[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Tue Oct 3 22:06:30 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 5:57 pm, William Munson wrote:
> Isaac Richards wrote:

> >> You will need to build the 0.20-fixes branch to get a compatible proto
> >> 31 frontend. The poor choice to change protocols without changing the
> >> release rev is causing many problems for those who install packages.
> >
> > How exactly do you propose to deal with different package maintainers
> > packaging different bits of (unreleased, pulled from svn) code?  If I
> > were put out 0.20.1 right now from the fixes branch, that won't change
> > the situation at all.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> I would have released 0.21 when the proto changed.

There hasn't been a release with a changed protocol version.

> That would fix the
> situation. Actually I would have held off releasing anything until more
> testing was done. Looking at how fast the commits are flying out of SVN.

Look at how fast they go in normally.  Commits have generally been slower for
the past month than they usually are.

> I would say your release was at least a month premature. I am not
> knocking your product, its great in most regards but the
> alpha-beta-release portion of the testing cycle seems to be missing.
> Perhaps this is due to the program being a non-commercial group effort.
> I have not coded for a group effort before and this release style may be
> part of that mentality. To me, its just poor style to have two different
> incompatible software versions both using the revision 0.20

Let's repeat.  There hasn't been a release with a changed protocol version.
Am I supposed to make a new public release every time something incompatible
changes in SVN?

Isaac