[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

Alexander Fisher alexjfisher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 21:57:54 UTC 2006

On 03/10/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Alexander Fisher wrote:
> > I think, (rightly or wrongly), most people made the assumption that
> > all versions from the 0.20 branch would be compatible.  This would be
> > true whether the version was an official point release such as 0.20.1,
> > or taken straight from svn (0.20 fixes branch).
> >
> > Under such a scheme, if the fix was critical and unavoidable, a 0.21
> > release would be required, (and a separate branch for this release
> > would be created before committing the fix).  Alternatively, perhaps a
> > workaround that didn't involve a protocol change was possible for the
> > fixes branch whilst the proper fix could have been made in svn trunk?
> >
> The point is, no release has been made other than 0.20.  If someone is
> tracking an SVN branch, even -fixes (as many package maintainers are),
> they are tracking a pre-release.  It is then reasonable to expect that
> things are not necessarily compatible until an official release.

Are you suggesting that 0.20-fixes will become compatible again with
0.20 in the future?

I think package maintainers are tracking the fixes branch out of
necessity.  The actual 0.20 release was never going to be especially
defect free without a longish period of testing, release candidates
etc.

I'm not sure myth would benefit much from release candidates, but in
lieu of a perfect, bug free release, a fixes branch is very welcome.
Its just a bit of a shame it now contains more than just 'fixes'.

Kind Regards,
Alex