[mythtv-users] Protocol mismatch problem and ongoing GUI colours problem

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Oct 3 21:11:52 UTC 2006

Clyde Stubbs wrote:
> While attempting to solve my ongoing problem with wrong GUI colours since
> installing 0.20 I upgraded to the latest ATrpms, to find that my front-
> and back-ends were disagreeing on the protocol version. Dropping back
> to earlier builds didn't immediately solve this, until I finally realized
> that
>
> 1) The ATrpms builds are from the 0.20-fixes branch;

Indeed they are.  Something you should know if you're going to choose to
use them
> 2) The 0.20-fixes include not only fixes but "enhancements" - specifically a protocol
>    version number increment

Actually, that was a fix that required a protocol increment.
> 3) the dependencies amongst the packages don't distinguish between different
>    builds of 0.20

take it up with Axel
> 4) the key issue is that the RPM dependencies allow any 0.20 package to satisfy
>    the needs of other 0.20 packages

See above
> 5) finally, I realized I had done
>
> 		yum upgrade myth\*
>
>    which didn't pull in the new build of libmyth-0.20 - but the older builds
>   (using protocol 30) are incompatible with the newer ones.
>
> I don't know enough about building RPMs to know the best way to solve this,
> though the workaround is obvious enough (yum update \*myth\*) but it
> seems to me the fundamental problem is the lack of a version number increment
> to reflect the protocol version increment.

The problem is not keeping your backend and frontend on the same
revision.  If you update packages on one, you update on all others.  If
you update from source on one, update the source on all others.

Instead of calling foul, take a minute to understand how to properly use
your package manager to update properly or build from source and avoid
these problems altogether.

Kevin