[mythtv-users] protocol version mismatch, what's the best solution?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Oct 3 20:27:07 UTC 2006

Richard Freeman wrote:
> Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>> How exactly do you propose to deal with different package maintainers
>> packaging different bits of (unreleased, pulled from svn) code?  If I were
>> put out 0.20.1 right now from the fixes branch, that won't change the
>> situation at all.
>>

> I'm guessing what he was thinking is that if ALL 0.20 branches in svn
> used the same protocol, and that when a protocol-change is needed it got
> tagged as a dev release then package maintainers would not use those
> builds.  If 0.20 suffers from numerous bugs and a bugfix release is
> needed it could be tagged 0.20.1 or 0.21.  Package maintainers should be
> discouraged from pulling from SVN - rather there should be dot releases
> more frequently for them to target.  At least, that was the impression I
> got reading the thread.
>
> Not sure if all that is really necessary, but it probably wouldn't hurt
> to keep the protocol version identical in all non-internal-dev releases.

It is. The only non-internal-dev release is 0.20. Any other branch is by
definition not a release, but a dev branch (regardless if it's called
-fixes, or -stan, or whatever) so there will be changes that may or may
not work. If you want stable, but possibly buggy, use the actual
release. If you want current code, use SVN and compile it, if you want
stable plus fixes, use -fixes and compile it (and use the same version
on ALL machines). Honestly, I've never understood using packages for
MythTV, there is so much more potential for problems, and in the time it
takes to download and install them, you could compile them yourself,
especially when you run into these types of problems. It's really not
that hard. If you can get Myth running to begin with, then compiling SVN
isn't a very big leap. I've got mine setup now so I can login and issue
one command, and it updates SVN, compiles everything, and installs it,
with no user intervention. It's as easy as using a package, if not easier.

Just my opinion, of course, but running SVN isn't as big a deal as
people think.

Tom