[mythtv-users] Transcoding HDTV?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Tue Oct 3 19:13:33 UTC 2006

I've finally picked up a HDHomeRun, and can now do proper HDTV with
Myth (these are so much easier to get up and running than the PCI-based
cards.. I'm really impressed!) One thing I never did get working with the
PCI-based solutions was trancoding.. I want to drop my HDTV programming
down to a significantly lower resolution that it's broadcasted at (DVD-ish
resolution looks fine on my TV's), and haven't been able to figure out the
best way to set this up.

A few questions:

- Is there a way to get Myth to automatically use a certain transcoding
   profile for HDTV programs? If so, how does it define HDTV programs?

- I'd like to drop the resolution significantly, and go to MPEG4 (well,
   h264, but I bet that's not an option!) Any problems with that?

- Is it possible to keep the AC3 audio track, or will it be converted to
   MP3?

- Any other advice?

Obviously, since I'm using a HDHomeRun, I'm on 0.20.. I'm actually
near-current to the 0.20-fixes branch right now.

Thanks!  :)