[mythtv-users] Problems with transcoded avi files

Eric Gilbert eric.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 18:40:31 UTC 2006

On 10/3/06, Charles philip Chan <cpchan at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I would like to put some of the programs that I have recorded on a DVD
> to be played back on my stand alone DIVX player. Since all my recordings
> are autotranscoded to MPEG4 by my MythTV setup, I basically just copied
> the raw video and audio into an avi container. However, although these
> files plays fine, they are not seekable on either my DIVX player or even
> with mplayer (mplayer crashes if I try to seek- the original nuv files
> seek fine). I have tried:
[snip]

To the best of my knowledge the MythTV implementation of the Nuppel
Video Format lacks an internal index ... and seeking in mplayer and
your divx player probably are expecting an index to seek on.  I use
avidemux to add an index and wrap the file with an avi container, and
have had no problems with the output.

/usr/bin/avidemux --load ${filename} --rebuild-index --output-format
AVI --save ${filename}.avi --quit

In theory you should be able to use mencoder with the forceidx command
as well, but I can't vouch for it working for every file.

mencoder -forceidx -ovc copy -oac copy -o <out_file> <in_file>

Hope this helps,
Eric