[mythtv-users] 1080i HD without XvMC, how much horsepower?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 3 17:49:58 UTC 2006

Alex Brekken wrote:
> On 10/3/06, Scott Alfter wrote:
>     With last week's ER, I was getting mid-30s when I tested it a few
>     minutes ago.
>
> And this is without XVMC??  Wow. I'm in the process of building a
> HD-capable front end and was going to go with a dual-core AMD 3800 X2.
> I think I might save a little cash and go for the 3700 instead.

The 3700 will give you better single-thread performance than the X2 3800.  The
3700 (San Diego core, 1 MB L2 cache) is clocked at 2.2 GHz, while the X2 3800
(either Manchester or Windsor core, 512K L2 cache per core) is clocked at 2.0
GHz.  If the MPEG-2 decoder used by MythTV is mostly single-threaded (can
someone confirm or deny this?), the larger cache and faster clock speed of the
3700 would be a win.

I've also transcoded some HD movies to MPEG-4 and H.264 to get them to fit on
single DVDs, and they play back smoothly.

  _/_