[mythtv-users] Newb frustration with LIRC, IR Blasters, etc.

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 11:05:54 UTC 2006

 wrote:
> > configure: error: *** you need to have the Linux kernel source installed for
> > this driver
> >
> > The thing is, I have got the kernel modules for lirc already installed via
> > yum:
>
> The "Linux kernel source" is the source to the Linux kernel (not the
> LIRC kernel modules). If you are compiling programs yourself, you will
> need this installed. For Fedora, you should be able to
>
> # yum install kernel-devel-`uname -r`
>
> to install the required -devel files. If you need the complete kernel
> source installed, you will need to install the .src.rpm file for your
> particular Fedora kernel.

For lirc you do need all of the kernel sources, not the stripped down
version of kernel-devel :(

> You seem to have LIRC installed from atrpms.net, so why are you trying
> to compile LIRC as well?

He probably got misguided by some guide that assumes you have to build
yourself.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Nick, Axel,

This is quite right.  None of the guides I have found begin with "Having installed everything the easy way from ATRPMs..."

So...what exactly are the kernel sources if not a package?  Where do I get them, where do I put them, etc.?  And do I understand that having installed LIRC using YUM that I don't need to set them up?  Have only browsed the guide Nick posted, will look into it after work today.

Thanks,
Pete