No subject

Mon Oct 2 07:03:28 UTC 2006

US-centric - more coverage of DVB and its setup, and of XMLTV
configuration, would be warmly welcomed. It must also be a publisher's
nightmare that MythTV adds new features after a book has gone to press
(MythArchive, native DVD support with menus etc) but I guess that's
the beauty of FOSS.

Page 6 Bottom

i) "Watch recordings at variable rates to adjust audio pitch."

Did you mean something like "Watch recordings at variable rates whilst
preserving audio pitch."

ii) "Analyze recorded shows and eliminate them from playback."

Did you mean "Analyse recorded shows for commercials and eliminate
them from playback"?

Page 8 Bottom

"There is no restriction on hardware:" and "... freedom to pick and
choose precisely what components go into your system build."

There are a lot of restrictions on hardware - you should make it clear
(especially to new Linux users whom this book seems aimed) all
hardware must be Linux supported. Also, a self-built Windows MCE
system is very self-rewarding, if you ask people who build them
themselves.

Page 9

Terminology

i) "This is usually referred to as the On-Screen Display (OSD) or
simply the menu system"

The OSD is the display that can be displayed whilst viewing LiveTV or
recordings. The OSD is completely separate from the XML-based menu
system.

ii) "Codec, a combination of the words coder and decoder, describes an
application capable of encoding a stream or signal-based
communications."

You missed half of the definition out: "capable of encoding" _and
decoding_ " a stream ..."

iii) I found the descriptions of frontend/backend systems much less
clear than the cited uiuc.edu wiki, which explains things very
succinctly. Would a paragraph about combined frontend/backend systems
be appropriate for users new to MythTV, as this is highly likely going
to be the first type of system they build? I'm wondering whether
calling the frontends and backends "systems" may not make it clear
they can (and normally do) reside on the same machine.

Page 11

Basic Requirements

i) "TV tuner or capture card that supports Video4Linux (V4L)"

A supported DVB card is also a valid option (separate from V4L as I
(and the linuxtv wiki) understand it).

ii) "Compatible video card with TV-out"

TV-out is only required if you want to connect to a TV via S-Video/composite.

Page 13

IVTV MPEG-2 CODEC

i) "IVTV Vendor Web Site - http://ivtv.sourceforge.net"

The ivtv is not a vendor. The ivtv website is now at
http://ivtvdriver.org. The sourceforge.net site is not updated any
more and the trac source code repository is also now at ivtvdriver.org
too.

ii) The ivtv driver is not a codec as I understand things, it is a
kernel driver to control the hardware encoding/decoding on the cards
(isn't this done in hardware/firmware on the actual cards?)

Page 16 Paragraph 5

i) "the Hauppauge PVR-150MCE card doubles as an FM radio tuner in
addition to on-board MPEG-2 decoding."

It doesn't have MPEG-2 decoding - that's the PVR-350.

Page 24

i) "Direct Video Broadcast (DVB)"

It's Digital Video Broadcasting.It's even mentioned on page 15.

Page 36 Bottom

"MythTV User Mailing List Archive -
www.gossamer-threads.com/lixsts/mythtv/users/"

A typo in the URL, should be
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/.

Page 37

Resources for Developers

Should the #mythtv-users IRC channel be listing the User Resources section?

Good luck with the book, and I look forward to seeing (maybe even
contributing in some small way to) a new, more global edition in the
future.

Cheers,
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: