[mythtv-users] Closed caption stopped working in 0.19

Vin Raju vinraju at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 23:06:25 UTC 2006

On Feb 17, 2006, 3:50 PM, W Klink wrote:
>> 2006-02-16 08:06:11.418 NVR(/dev/video) Error: Failed to query vbi
>> capabilities (v4l1)
>
>I get this error on the backed when I try and watch Live TV or
record
>a program and no closed captions are recorded.  This didn't happen
>under 0.18.1 (or earlier).  Any ideas what is causing the problem or
>what I can do?

I recently upgraded a machine from mythtv 0.18.1 to 0.20 and had the
same issue with closed captioning no longer working.  I looked
through the setup options in both the frontend and the mythtv-setup
utility but could not find anything setup incorrectly.

Now under version 0.20, I can no longer display closed captioning on
recorded shows (or live TV), but I can display the captions on shows
that were recorded using 0.18.1.

This machine has an AMD Duron processor running a 2.4 kernel, and has
a WinTV Go video capture card (software based encoder.)

I have another machine that runs mythtv-- Pentium 3, running a 2.6
kernel, with a WinTV PVR-350 (hardware based encoder.)  Ever since
closed captioning has been working for hardware based encoders on
mythtv, this machine has been able to display the captions.  It
worked on 0.19 (svn), and now works after upgrading to version 0.20.

Does anyone have suggestions for a solution or a way to trouble-shoot
the problem of displaying closed captions for a machine with a
software-based encoder?

Thanks!
Vinnie