[mythtv-users] HELP! Selecting alternate audio o/p

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Oct 2 11:08:35 UTC 2006

> Greetings
>
> After a power surge, it looks like my Epia SP13000 audio outputs are
> fried. The digital o/p is OK and I imagine that the mic and line-in are
> OK.
>
> Is there a way of routing the audio to either the digital o/p (for all
> sources, AC3 or just plain stereo) or is there a hidden control on the
> alsa mixer of a V8237 chip to turn the mic/line-in into outputs and use
> one of them as an analog output.

I've given up for the moment on getting the mic/line-in working as outputs
but not making much progress on the spdif output either.

Using "aplay -D plug:iec958 ...wav" works fine - it rate changes etc as it
should. I don't seem to be able to reference the spdif device from the
.asoundrc file though. The aplay -l output is

mythtv at media ~ $ aplay -l
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 0: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 4/4
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: V8237 [VIA 8237], device 1: VIA 8237 [VIA 8237]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

which doesn't list the spdif device at all - in fact it only appears at
the tail end of the aplay -L listing as follows:
cards 'cards.pcm'
front 'cards.pcm.front'
rear 'cards.pcm.rear'
center_lfe 'cards.pcm.center_lfe'
side 'cards.pcm.side'
surround40 'cards.pcm.surround40'
surround41 'cards.pcm.surround41'
surround50 'cards.pcm.surround50'
surround51 'cards.pcm.surround51'
surround71 'cards.pcm.surround71'
iec958 'cards.pcm.iec958'
spdif 'cards.pcm.iec958'
modem 'cards.pcm.modem'
phoneline 'cards.pcm.phoneline'
default 'cards.pcm.default'
dmix 'cards.pcm.dmix'
dsnoop 'cards.pcm.dsnoop'

All the sample .asoundrc files I've seen use something like
   type hw
   card 0
   device 2

to reference the spdif device - that doesn't work for me - I've tried
   type hw
   card 0
   device 0 and 1
   subdevice 0, 1, 2, 3

not good on any :-(

It must be doable so long as I can reference the device (somehow) so I can
tie it to a dmix plug and get the analog to digital rate change to
48000bps.

Sigh!

--
Robin Gilks