[mythtv-users] Running as root

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Sun Oct 1 14:38:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 12:45:01PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/30/06 11:48, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 01:37:57PM -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> >>And exactly how does one set the SUID bit on a file? Would this be chmod
> >>+s mythfrontend or chmod 7777 mythfrontend?
> >>
> >>As usual the man page, while perfectly correct is perfectly opaque.
> >
> >chmod u+s mythfrontend
> >
> >chmod 7777 would set not only suid, but also sgid and the sticky bit.
> >And you probably don't want to be making mythfrontend world-writable if
> >it's anywhere near a network, either, especially if it's suid root.
> >chmod 4755 or 4750 (if the mythtv user is a member of the group that
> >owns it) would be reasonably sane, though.  (4755 = rwsr-xr-x; 4750 =
> >rwsr-x---)
>
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.4 under "Enabling
> real-time scheduling of the display thread."

Was that link intended as a correction to my answer or a reference for
R. G. to check out?  I can't tell because it's not currently working.
The port is open, but nobody's home:

$ telnet mythtv.org 80
Trying 140.211.167.131...
Connected to alcor-2.osuosl.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.4
<five minutes later>
Connection closed by foreign host.
$ telnet mythtv.org 80
Trying 140.211.167.131...
Connected to alcor-2.osuosl.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
<another five minutes pass>
Connection closed by foreign host.

(Also tried in Firefox, which also timed out.  Twice.)

--
I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience attending too much Liberty
than those attending too small degree of it.