[mythtv-users] Loosely coupled slave FE/BE

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Nov 30 16:39:36 UTC 2006

White Joe wrote:
> I am in the planning stages of putting together a second MythTV FE/BE
> to go in the kitchen.  Its gonna be a Mini-ITX box attached to an LCD
> monitor.  The plan is to make it portable so that we can easly take it
> on vacations or down to the clubhouse to play recorded shows and DVDs
> for the kids' sleepovers.  I will need to write some scripts that copy
> designated vids to the slave, detach it from the network, bring a
> local DB on line, register the tranferred vids and do anything else
> that promotes it to master status.  I don't see any HOWTOs or many
> posts refering to the idea of decoupling.  But before I got started, I
> wanted to ask if its already been done.

I started on this some time ago, and then sort of abandoned the attempt
due to lack of time.

I have an identical situation; I use a cappucinoPC for a carputer that
lives in the kitchen on a regular basis.

I hacked out an approach, but really hit a time crisis and let it slip....

The movies are easy.  Recordings are difficult.  Also, as I've found
out, you can pollute your master backend if you're not careful.  If you
allow the travel backend to come on-line while connected to the house
network, your FE will see duplicate movies or some such.  I ended up
with gobs of duplicates.  I never did figure out how that happened; I've
since upgraded to 0.20.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your scripts.  I can't contribute much at
the moment; my house is under reconstruction and my servers are piled
high in a spare bedroom and I am down to 1 functioning computer which is
sitting on the dinner table, shared by the whole family.  Not really a
peaceful environment for hacking out new approaches.

Hopefully after the new year things will be better, and maybe I can
contribute then.

--Yan