[mythtv-users] using a second BE to wakeup the main BE?

Andrew Wilson migmog at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:13:21 UTC 2006

> thank you for the help.
> I think I need some time to (understand it and) adapt your scripts for me.
> In between, I found also this page
> http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WakeonLANConcierge
> where there is a "sleeping master" and a "concierge" (a 24x7 box) that
> wake up the Master.
> The Concierge knows when invoke wake on lan with a script, "uploaded"
> from the Master.

Ah - I never found this little gem. It does pretty much the same thing
as mine, only more elegantly. However, mine has fewer dependencies -
no need for atd, inetd and possibly others. Mine only requires NFS,
which it has anyway as that's how I store all my recordings - and just
about everything else, as I net boot all my boxes off it as well.

These dependencies should not be a problem for normal linux distros,
but for a hobbled box like my MSS this is all too much. My concierge
box is greener though, as it only uses about 5 watts :-)

I think my solution may be easier to implement, but hey I would say that...

Andrew