[mythtv-users] mysql-5.0

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Nov 30 14:00:01 UTC 2006

On 11/23/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    General question. Is it safe & easy to update mysql from a 4.1.21
> installation to mysql-5.0?

Yes. 4.0 to 4.1 was a major headache, but 4.1 to 5.0 was no problem at
all for me.

> 1) Do I have to do anything on the backend to continue using the
> existing recordings and database?

You shouldn't need to do anything. I'd follow your distributions
directions on upgrading mysql, though. Always back up first, and when
it finishes, make sure that the data in the new version matches what
you expect.

> 2) Do I have to update every front end on the network to 5.0 so they
> will all speak the same language, or can a frontend continue to run
> 4.1.21 for a few days?

I believe they should all be compatible, but don't quote me on that

>    Is there a WIKI page somewhere that takes a user through the process?

It's more of a MySQL thing than a Myth thing, so if there is a wiki,
it's specific for your distro.

For example, here's the gentoo upgrade guide for mysql:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mysql-upgrading.xml

 - Jeff