[mythtv-users] Major networks HD encrypted by cable company?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 03:06:50 UTC 2006

I spent a week at my sister's house for thanksgiving.  While there I
setup a Myth box which included a HDHomeRun.  Unfortunately, I ended
up bring to HDHR back home with me.

It turns out that her local cable company is encrypting *all* HD
channels, including the major networks (ABC, NBC, PBS).  She cannot
easily receive anything OTA, so cable is the best option.  None of the
houses in her area have antennas, so either reception is impossible,
or there is some neighborhood covenant restricting them.

I was pretty sure that the FCC forbids encrypting of the major
networks, but was unable to find a document to back that up.  Does
anyone know if that is right?  Are cable companies allowed to encrypt
the major networks?

Thanks for any info.

John