[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 29 18:50:51 UTC 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Brett Kosinski wrote:

> Well, speaking for myself,  I only have a single-tuner system right
> now, as each tuner requires another STB and another IR blaster,
> meaning around $200 of equipment, and I already blew my wad on my
> initial system.  It's not *that* surprising to encounter such
> systems, and to exclude them (or worse, deride them) seems
> unnecessarily rude.
>
> Frankly, the idea of having *6* seems like unbelievable overkill to
> me.  The only reason I can see for such a system is bragging
> rights.  But, hey, it's your choice and your money, so who am I to
> criticize?

I'd guess there are a lot of single-tuner systems out there, but I
suspect that two tuners is probably the most common. The "watch one
and record one" is a very common scenario. Also you need at least 2
tuners to do PiP.

I wound up using 4 tuners, thinking I would need them, but to be
honest I can't recall the last time I used more than 2  at once
except for testing. Myth's ability to simply record a later showing
of a conflicting program pretty much obviates having a lot of tuners,
given how many repeats are on most channels. The single exception
might be live sporting events,but those don't interest me.

Most of the commercial Myth systems being offered for sale seem to
come in 1 or 2 tuner configurations. I think MCE has a 2-tuner limit.

> Not that I think devsk is necessarily correct.  My point is simply
> that this kind of elitism is hardly constructive.  There are many
> types of Myth users, and I would *hope* the project makes an
> attempt to accomodate more than just the power users with too much
> disposable income.

Isn't that last sentence an oxymoron ?