[mythtv-users] post recording command?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Nov 29 17:44:16 UTC 2006

Rich West wrote:
> I have DirecTV STB's and I'm connected via the Serial port.  I've had no
> problems controlling the set top box, but I am wondering if it is
> possible to shut the set top box off after (1) the recording is complete
> and also (2) when the tuner is not in use via WatchTV?
>
> Is this even possible?
>
> The directv.pl script, which is set up to change the channels, turns on
> the STB, so that isn't an issue...
>
> The real reason I am trying to do this is that some times the STB flakes
> out and doesn't give me any channels or signal.  Powering off and
> powering back on again brings things back.  So.. my thinking is that if
> I only have the STB on when in use (either via recording or watching
> live tv), it may lessen the chances of the box flaking out..
>
> -Rich

You can setup a user job that runs the approriate script after recording
is finished. The only problem I can see is if you have two recordings
back to back on the same STB, the user job may fire *after* the second
recording starts, which would not be good. I'm not sure about 'idle
checks' that are built in, but it wouldn't be too difficult to figure
out a script that sees when there are no recordings going on, and shuts
the STB down.

Tom